No. 29 Holiday Inn Chevrolet
Event Preview Fact Sheet
Event/Date: Aarons 312 April 26, 2008
Venue: Talladega (Ala.) Superspeedway
Scott Wimmers NASCAR Nationwide Series
Performance History at Talladega Superspeedway
DATESTARTFINISHLAPSTOTALSTATUS EARNINGS COMPLETEDLAPS 4/30/2007213471120Running $ 28,125 4/5/20032038117Accident $ 22,205 4/20/2002342823117Accident $ 15,995 4/21/2001104222113Engine $ 11,945 TotalAverageAverageLapsTOTAL EarningsStartsStartFinishCompletedLAPS 21.335.5124467 $ 78,270
· This Weeks Holiday Inn Chevrolet at Talladega Superspeedway The Holiday Inn Racing team will unload Chassis No. 030 from the Richard Childress Racing (RCR) stable this weekend. Built new in 2005 as the No. 21 machine, this is the same car Wimmer raced last February at Daytona International Speedway (St. 36, Fn. 13) and in April at Talladega (St. 21, Fn. 34). After receiving all the required 2008 updates, Wimmer piloted this Holiday Inn machine to 18th-place finish at Daytona in February.
· Wimmer at Talladega The Wausau, Wis., native has struggled on the high-banks of Talladega Superspeedway. Last year, the 32-year-old driver had a less than desired outcome after being involved in an incident of another drivers making which resulted in a 34th-place finish.
· Points Check Based on Wimmers seventh-place finish last week in Mexico, the No. 29 team moved from fifth to fourth in the NASCAR Nationwide Series (NNS) owners championship point standings and sits 94 points behind leader and RCR teammate Clint Bowyers No. 2 machine. In nine races this season, the duo of Jeff Burton and Wimmer has earned one victory, three top-five and five top-10 finishes.
· 150 and Counting Last weeks Corona Mexico 200 marked Wimmers 150th-career NNS start. Dating back to 2000, Wimmer has recorded 6 wins, 25 top-five and 57 top-10 finishes. The 32-year old driver also boasts over $5 million in career earnings.
· RCR at Talladega In 17 previous Nationwide Series starts at Talladega Superspeedway, RCR has posted two poles (Bowyer, April 2004; and Johnny Sauter, April 2002), five top-five and six top-10 finishes. RCR cars have also led 85 laps on Talladegas high-banks.
· Three to Go RCR has earned a Nationwide Series victory at 23 of the 26 tracks on the 2008 schedule. The only tracks on the current schedule where RCR hasnt earned wins are Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City, Darlington Raceway and Talladega Superspeedway.
· RCRs NNS Stable In nine NNS races this season, RCR-prepared Nationwide Series entries have notched two wins (Bowyer Bristol and Wimmer Nashville), nine top-five and 16 top-10 finishes. RCR cars have also led 285 of the 1,548 (18.4 percent) of the totals laps run this season.
· Lets Break Things Down This weekends race will be the fifth of 23 that Wimmer is scheduled to drive the No. 29 Holiday Inn Chevrolet. In four starts, he has posted one win, one top-five and two top-10 finishes. He has also led 47 of the 596 (7.8 percent) laps contested and has completed every lap of competition.
· Testing in Music City Before heading to Talladega for this weekends Aarons 499, Wimmer will join the AT&T Racing team for a pit stop at Nashville Superspeedway Tuesday, April 22 and Wednesday, April 23 to test their Impala SS in preparation for the upcoming short tracks on the 2008 schedule.
· Help Chevy Help Autism During April Autism Awareness Month people who go to the Autism Speaks website (www.autismspeaks.org ), can click on the Help Chevy Help Autism icon and take a free virtual test drive of the 2008 North American Car of the Year the all-new Chevy Malibu. Chevrolet has committed to a minimum contribution of $500,000, but every virtual test drive taken gets Chevrolet closer to its goal of donating up to $1 million to Autism Speaks to support its mission of increasing awareness of autism and raising money to fund autism research. Those who participate in the virtual test drive will be offered a free 30-day online trial of XM Satellite Radio.
· Catch the Action Live coverage of the Aarons 312 will be televised live on ABC Saturday, April 26 beginning at 2:30 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT). The 10th race of the 2008 season will broadcast live on the Motor Racing Network (MRN) and Sirius Satellite Radio. Qualifying for the second restrictor plate race of the season will be televised Friday, April 25 on SPEED beginning at 5 p.m. EDT.
SCOTT WIMMER QUOTES:
Why hasnt Talladega been one of your strongest tracks?
It seems like I have been in the wrong place at the wrong time so many times at Talladega. I have had some strong runs that were cut short by getting caught up in an accident. Im taking the same Holiday Inn Chevrolet that we took to Daytona and the team has worked hard to make it better. Talladega is all about speed and handling doesnt matter as much. I think we will have a fast car and, hopefully, we can stay out of the wrecks and be there at the end.
What are the keys to getting around Talladega?
It is really important to draft well and it is important to have teammates in the race. I am fortunate that I am going to have two teammates in the race. At places like Daytona and Talladega you need to have support on track. Hopefully Clint (Bowyer), Stephen (Leicht) and I can hook up and get to the front and have a good day for Richard Childress. I would love to get Richard his first Nationwide Series win at Talladega.
NO. 29 HOLIDAY INN CHEVROLET 2008 NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES RACE RESULTS
DATETRACKDRIVERSTARTFINISHLAPSTOTALSTATUS EARNINGS COMPLETEDLAPS 2/16/2008DaytonaWimmer2918120120Running $ 51,518 2/25/2008CaliforniaBurton150150Running $ 26,650 3/1/2008Las VegasBurton24157202Engine $ 23,090 3/8/2008AtlantaBurton198198Running $ 28,850 3/15/2008BristolWimmer12171171Running $ 32,043 3/22/2008NashvilleWimmer14225225Running $ 57,313 4/5/2008TexasBurton200200Running $ 55,725 4/11/2008PhoenixBurton31192202Accident $ 14,895 4/20/2008MexicoWimmer218080Running $ 52,878 Total AverageAverageLapsTOTAL EarningsStarts StartFinishCompletedLAPS 8.5611.781,4931,548 $ 342,962